Saturday, September 20, 2008

It was hard to walk away...I Let Her Down

No, this time its not gonna be about shoes, fashion, that to-die-for outfit in the window...No.
This time, its about walking away from one of the best memories i have and possibly one of the cruelest things i have ever done in my life.

20th September:
PJI and Taman Sea Leos went on a visit to Taman Megah's Home for Disabled Kids (not exact name, its the corner lot one). I stepped into the compound and was almost immediately attracted to this little girl who is about 4 to 7 yrs old. An absolute darling, i took turns with one of the Taman Sea girls to give her piggy back rides (i regret not asking for both their names). Holding her in my arms, i felt an instant connection. I felt like i was holding my little sister, or to some extent, my daughter. Whenever i set her down for awhile, she would get moody and start to cry. You all asked me what i did to make her cry, i know now the answer is I Let Her Down.

She would be fine after awhile, and we played an unofficial piggy back race with Eric and his "rider". I can still hear her laugh. After that, she clung onto Lawrence and Wei Jheng. Then it was time to go.

She clung to me again during the group photo session. Really held on me, i could feel her unwillingness to let go. That's when i knew, i had erred. A big no-no is working with orphans is to not make a bond with them, especially if you cant commit to see them all the time. When i had to set her down before leaving, she wouldnt let go. The maid had to drag her off my shoulders. It broke my heart and nearly made me cry. But i knew i had to walk away. For both of us.

No comments: